Call for expressions of interest – National Coordinator
Australian Student Christian Movement
A national ecumenical fellowship of students and ex-students (Senior Friends) seeking to commit to Jesus Christ and his Gospel and to live out this gospel in prayer, study (especially of the Bible) and commitment to others, especially through social justice action.
ASCM is seeking a new national coordinator! If you have a heart for working with students of all ages and the young-at-heart, enjoy working across different faith traditions, and are passionate about Christian activism, this is the role for you. We’re a friendly, inclusive organisation and we welcome members from all denominations and theological and social positions. We have branches around the country of both students and senior friends (those who were once student members of the organisation), and we regularly run international online seminars on topics related to social justice, theology, and what it means to be Christian. We’re looking for someone to coordinate our activities at the national level, including national events and meetings, spread the word about ASCM by attending ecumenical and student events, encourage ASCM groups in different states and the ACT and take the lead on administrative matters as outlined below. If this sounds like something you’d love to do, please do apply!
- Play a key leadership role in the further development of the work of the ASCM at a national level by encouraging and nurturing the development of ASCM student groups
- Maintain communication with State Area Councils/Support Groups, state staff and other office bearers, and outside bodies (e.g. World Student Christian Federation, National Council of Churches of Australia, State Councils of Churches and denominations)
- Prepare the agendas, and sometimes chair biannual National Executive meetings
- Coordinate position statements on national and international events, and coordinate submissions to government inquiries, including, where relevant, by lobbying governments
- Oversee organising of national conference (one day a year) and national programs (both online and in-person) with office bearers and staff
- Attend ecumenical and student events to promote the work of ASCM
- Coordinate decisions with the Treasurer on finances and budgeting
- National Treasurer
- National Pastoral Care Officer
- Technology Coordinator
- WSCF Liaison Officer
- ASCM Trust
Hours and honorarium
An honorarium is to be negotiated with the successful candidate, depending on their vision and availability. The position is part-time with fluctuating hours to be negotiated with the successful candidate; job-share arrangements may be available. Paid interstate travel may also be involved, and some office bearer expenses.
The position is home-based – work from anywhere, with some face-to-face work required
The position is for one year with the option of renewing.
- Experience working with students and/or in ecumenical or faith-based organisations and groups
- A personal commitment to working with an ecumenical fellowship featuring a range of beliefs and people of all ages
- Self-motivation and demonstrated ability to work without supervision
- Good computer literacy in such areas as email, databases and Google Suite. Experience in hosting online meetings, or the willingness to learn, would be an advantage
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to organise meetings, conferences etc.
Applicants should include:
- A standard CV
- A separate statement addressing the selection criteria above.
- Details of three referees (references from them need not be submitted)
Applications due by Monday 17 May 2021. Please send applications to email@example.com
Enquiries are welcome. Please contact Barrie Baker, 0450391941, or Claudine Chionh, 0418592269.